In today’s world of social media, on demand video and podcasts, there is no shortage of content catered to the hunter. Due to the sheer volume of information and entertainment being produced these days, it can be easy to get stuck in information overload. How do you find the time to read, listen or watch everything that you might want to? The paradox of choice may be a first world problem but it’s real nonetheless.
Over the past few years, I have been devouring as much of this content as humanly possible and thankfully have found a few “go-to” platforms that I know I can depend on when I’m looking for specific material on a specific subject. So, in an attempt to make finding valuable and informative digital content a little easier for someone that isn’t as obsessed as I am, I have compiled a list of the YouTube channels and specific podcast episodes that I’ve found helpful in my search to improve my hunting abilities. Whether it’s tactics, locations, photography, training or entertainment, you’ll find something to suit your needs below.
- Nock On Archery - I use this channel to learn just about everything that goes with tuning and working on your own bow. John Dudley is an amazing coach and makes learning easy.
- MTNSTRONG – MTNSTRONG provides great tutorials on exercises and workouts that will help you train indoors so you can succeed in the mountains.
- Steven Drake - Steven’s VLOGS are extremely helpful to the hunter who wants to capture their adventures through the lens of a camera. He does this in a series of short videos.
- Randy Newberg, Hunter – Randy has really pushed the limits of the YouTube space as of late. His channel has everything ranging from entertaining hunts to instructional videos on just about every hunting related topic. Whether you want to see what the inside of Randy’s truck looks like in hunting season or learn how to e-scout new public land areas using OnX Hunt Maps, he has valuable content for the mountain hunter.
- Born and Raised Outdoors – If you love elk hunting, and haven’t checked out BRO’s Land of the Free project on their channel, you’re missing out! Make sure that you block off some time in your schedule because they can be addictive!
- Beyond the Kill – EP 25: How to Exercise Your Apparel System – This episode will teach you about clothing layering systems and how you can modify your system to meet your needs.
- Gritty Bowmen – EP 196: Extreme Ownership - Whether it’s in business, your personal life, or hunting, this episode will be helpful in teaching you the importance of holding yourself accountable. It is a review of the Jocko Willink book Extreme Ownership.
- Wired to Hunt – EP 166: Hunting Mountain Whitetails with Josh Boyd - If you hunt the mountains of NW Montana or the Appalachian Range, Josh Boyd’s advice will be relevant in learning how to become a better mountain whitetail hunter.
- The Rich Outdoors – EP 158: Wapiti Wednesday with the Elk Nut Paul Medel – Paul Medel explains how elk behave in a level of detail that I’ve never heard before. If you’ve ever been fooled by the mighty wapiti, then this will be an episode that is worth listening to.
- The Rich Outdoors – EP 104: Adam Foss, Mark Seacat, and Cole Kramer: The A Team is Back in Town - This podcast is just a good listen if you are interested in the stories from some respected hunters.
- The Hunt Backcountry Podcast – EP 85: Recapping the Exo Death Hike - The Exo Death Hike is a crucible-level event that has become an annual trip for many diehard western and mountain hunters. If you have ever wanted to see what you’re made of before the season kicks off, check this one out.
- Meat Eater – EP 86: The Meat Tree, Part 1 and EP 87: Part 2 - Steve Rinella and his crew recap being attacked by a bear on Afognak island.
- Kifarucast – Photo Series Parts 1 – 3 - Aron Snyder goes into great detail on camera gear and ways to improve your photography to best capture your hunts.
- Randy Newberg Hunt Talk Radio – EP 74: Eastern Backcountry Hunting with Randy Newberg and Damon Bungard - Damon Bungard sits down with Randy to discuss his backcountry hunting in the mountains of East Tennessee. It’s a great podcast to show that adventure hunts don’t necessarily have to take place in the western mountains.
- Randy Newberg Hunt Talk Radio – EP 48: Hunt Elk EVERY YEAR. No excuses now! – Didn’t draw your dream tag again? There are plenty of states and places to hunt on Over-The-Counter tags.
- Gritty Bowmen – EP 93: Public Lands: This Land Is Your Land - Brian sits down with Ty Stubblefield of Backcountry Hunters & Anglers to discuss the threats against our public lands and why it’s important to everyone.
- Beyond the Kill – EP 31: Telling the WHOLE Hunting Story with Steven Drake - I mentioned Steven Drake in the video and podcast section and he gets a mention here as well because there aren’t too many people that can tell a story through a camera lens like he can.
- Beyond the Kill – EP 1: Who We Are with Donnie Vincent - Any time that Donnie Vincent talks, it is a good idea to pay attention. Adam and Donnie dig into the concept of Who We Are as hunters.
- Beyond the Kill – EP 34: Following Your Passion Into the Outdoors Industry with Heather Kelly - Heather Kelly is a perfect example of someone who followed their passion and worked extremely hard to make it a reality. Whether you want a career in the outdoor industry or to be better in your existing career, this is a good podcast to listen to.
I hope that these digital media sources will be as valuable and worth your time as they were for me. If you like these YouTube channels and podcasts, or have any great resources that you discovered, please send us your feedback!